Skip to main content

Series III: Williams records, 1946-2000

This series houses game documentation created and maintained by Williams throughout the course of its existence as a major American pinball producer. Williams Manufacturing Co. was established in 1943. In late 1958, Williams Manufacturing became known as Williams Electronic Manufacturing Co. From 1974 until 1986, the company operated as Williams Electronics, Inc. (which was incorporated as a wholly owned subsidiary of Seeburg Corp. but later sold as an independent company in 1980). In 1987, Williams changed its parent name to WMS Industries, Inc., acquiring competitor Bally/Midway the following year.

The subseries within this series are arranged according to company name. Documentation from Williams Manufacturing Co. in Subseries A covers the course of that company’s operation from 1943-1973; Subseries B encompasses Williams Electronics, Inc. from 1974-1986; and Subseries C comprises WMS Industries, Inc. (incorporating Bally/Midway) from 1987-2000. Additional materials outside of these specific date ranges are also included with each subseries, as originally retained within project folders.


  • 1946-2000


The majority of this collection is in English, though there are instances of German, French, and Spanish.

Conditions Governing Access

Some materials of financial nature have been restricted by the museum. The documents in Box 108 will not be open for research use until the year 2048. They are denoted as such in this finding aid and are separated from unrestricted files.


From the Collection: 60 Linear Feet (108 boxes, 1 flat file drawer)


Repository Details

Part of the Brian Sutton-Smith Library and Archives of Play at The Strong Repository

The Strong
One Manhattan Square
Rochester NY 14607 USA
585.423.1886 (Fax)