LGBTQ Game Archive collection
The LGBTQ Game Archive collection is arranged into eleven series. This digital collection can be accessed on-site at The Strong.
- 1986 - 2020
- LGBTQ Game Archive (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
12.6 Gigabytes (Digital only.) : Accessible on-site at The Strong.
The bulk of these files were saved by Cody Mejeur during a Digital Humanities post-doctoral project as a Graduate Student in the English department at Michigan State University. This project was an extension of an earlier effort established by Shaw through a Temple University Digital Scholarship Faculty Fellowship to preserve the materials used in the LGBTQ Game Archive after GayGamer.Net, a major source of LGBTQ gamer history, went offline. With research assistance from Aja Binette (then a Temple University Sociology PhD candidate) and Head of the Digital Scholarship Center Matt Shoemaker, Shaw created a model for bulk saving of the content and produced a spreadsheet file that could be used to add item information and metadata to a digital collections site
To learn more about the project and its methodology, refer to
System of Arrangement
Series I: Administrative, 2018-2020
Series II: Articles, 1989-2020 and n.d.
Series III: Blogs, 2008-2020 and n.d.
Series IV: Forums, 1996-2016
Series V: Games, 1989-2020
Series VI: Gaming magazines, 1986-2012
Series VII: Images, 1986-2018 and n.d.
Series VIII: Notes, 2015
Series IX: Videos, 2007-2018
Series X: Websites, 1997-2018
Series XI: Wikis, 2013-2018
- Animal Crossing (Video game series)
- Baldur’s Gate (Video game series)
- Bethesda Softworks (Firm)
- Caper in the Castro (Video game)
- Dys4ia (Video game)
- Earthbound (Video game)
- Electronic Arts (Firm)
- Electronic games -- Social aspects
- Fallout (Video game series)
- Final Fantasy (Video game series)
- Gabriel Knight (Video game series)
- GayBlade (Video game)
- Gender identity
- Grand Theft Auto (Video game series)
- Heileen (Video game series)
- Katamari (Video game series)
- Konami, Inc.
- LGBTQ Game Archive
- LGBTQ Video Game Archive
- Legend of Zelda (Video game series)
- Leisure Suit Larry (Video game series)
- Mass Effect (Video game series)
- Metal Gear Solid (Video game series)
- Metroid (Video game series)
- Nintendo of America, Inc.
- Shadow Hearts (Video game series)
- Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Soul Calibur (Video game series)
- Super Mario Bros. (Video game series)
- Tekken (Video game series)
- The Sims (Video game series)
- Ultima (Video game series)
- Video games -- Gender identity
- Video games -- LGBTQ content
- Video games -- Sex
- Video games -- Social aspects
- Shaw, Adrienne (Person)
- Finding Aid to the LGBTQ Game Archive Collection, 1986-2020
- Julia Novakovic
- 20 November 2020
- Description rules
- Language of description
Part of the Brian Sutton-Smith Library and Archives of Play at The Strong Repository
One Manhattan Square
Rochester NY 14607 USA