The C.W. Parker Amusement Company was a Kansas-based amusement rides manufacturer from 1892 until 1955.
Charles W. Parker entered the amusements business in 1882, establishing a lucrative shooting gallery next door to a saloon in Abilene, Kansas. After Parker purchased a second-hand Armitage-Herschell carousel in 1892, he officially founded the C.W. Parker Amusement Company in Abilene. The company expanded rapidly, and by 1900 manufactured a wide variety of amusement rides and attractions; these included Parker’s signature “Carry-Us-All” (a name he created as a derivative of “carousel”), shooting galleries, military band organs, cylinder pianos, carved wagon show fronts, mechanical and electrical shows, and the railroad cars which transported the company’s products. Parker believed that carnivals should be clean, moral, and instructive as well as entertaining, and his carnival companies bore the distinctive “Parker’s Seal of Cleanliness” stamp. By 1908, the C.W. Parker factories claimed to be “the largest establishment of its kind in the United States, devoted exclusively to the manufacture of amusement devices.” In 1911, the company moved to a bigger factory in Leavenworth, Kansas, where it remained in operation until 1955.
Over the course of its existence, the C.W. Parker Amusement Company produced approximately 1,000 carousels. As of 2017, fewer than 20 of these carousels are still in operation.